Provision of Consultancy Services to Support Development of Africa CDC’s Public-Private-Philanthropic Initiative
Consultant selection will be made based on the following minimum educational and
A) Education: An advanced degree in the field of Health Sciences (Public Health, Field
Epidemiology, Applied Epidemiology, Health Emergencies etc.) or related discipline.
1. At least 10 years’ hands-on experience in health science studies, qualitative survey studies
and in drafting of strategic planning documentation in the field of epidemic control.
2. At least 10 years of proven and certified experience in epidemic and health emergency
preparedness and response.
3.At least 10 years’ experience and knowledge of the African, European and North
American donor communities.
4. Skill in leadership and managerial abilities to promote programs and activities of Africa
5. Experience in developing and maintaining relations with a wide range of people and
organizations, including medical professionals, civil society and community
organizations, academia, government representatives, and donor organizations.
6. Knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques,
particularly in the area of corporate and foundation fundraising techniques required.
7. Knowledge of the leadership in public and private sectors in the Africa CDC host country,
Ethiopia, will be an added advantage.
c) Required Skills
1. Excellent interpersonal and team building skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural
2. Demonstrable collaboration skills as evidenced by significant experience in developing
and leading technical collaborations between national, regional and global health partner
agencies and governments.
3. Exceptional interpersonal, and communication skills
4. Evidence of strategic thinking and proven ability to organize, plan and prioritize work
5.Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multicultural
environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
6. Builds strong relationships internally and with external actors.
7. Strong understanding business principals and public health functions.
8. Demonstrated analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
9.Fluency in English and/or French and any other African Union official language.
On 3rd July 2017, Heads of States and Governments (HoSG) of African countries through a Declaration, tasked Africa CDC, the African Union Commission (AUC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) with accelerating the implementation of the International Health Regulations (IHR 2005) and report back. By issuing the Declaration, the HoSG reaffirmed their recognition that disease outbreaks are a serious health security threat and an impediment to the economic growth of Africa. The objective of the consultancy is to serve as a Senior Private Sector Consultant who advises and supports the Africa CDC team responsible for implementing the Public, Private and Philanthropic Initiative (3PI) Engagement Framework, and the Private Sector Engagement Expert Committee, on issues relating to private and philanthropic sector engagement, including external engagement, identifying external support for emergency preparedness, surveillance and response and developing advocacy and fundraising approaches aimed at building Africa CDC’s relationships with its constituencies.