The African Union (AU) is a Pan African continental body consisting of 55 African countries. The AU was in 2002, replacing the Organisation of African Unity (OAU). The AU is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing strategic partnerships worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The Directorate of Information and Communication (DIC) of the AU Commission (AUC) which is charged with disseminating information of the activities of the AU to both internal and external audiences and stakeholders in a consistent manner guided by the overarching corporate policies. With the ongoing Institutional Reform heralding the transformation of the AU as well as the changing media and technological landscape transforming communications in all spheres, the DIC is embarking on developing and establishing communication guidelines and policies that will ensure consistency how we deliver messages to our key stakeholders and the public at large. The AUC invites applicants who are citizens of Member States of the AU for the position of Consultant Corporate Communication Policy Expert within the Directorate of Information & Communication (DIC). We are looking for professionals with experience in leading the design and implementation of corporate communication policies for international organisations including guidelines for subsidiary business units or organs to ensure alignment with headquarter policies. To provide consultative services as relates to the development of the communications policies and procedures of the African Union. (AUC and Organs). The ideal candidate will be expected to reviews the ongoing draft work and refine it with the aim of defining and providing guidelines on the extent, quality and output of communication with AU external stakeholders and on the adherence to and quality of internal communications in line with AU approved corporate policies.
The ideal candidate standards should have strong background corporate communications for leading international and regional organisations. In consideration of the total number of years worked, the candidate must have a minimum of 5 year’s experience in a senior operational role in communications function where they have been responsible for setting / or maintaining communication polices and ensuring the adherence to the corporate policies. Candidates will be expected to have a good understanding of the AU and other similar international or regional (public or private organisations) which can be used as benchmarks for developing a comprehensive corporate communications policy.
1. University Degree in Marketing Management or International Communications
2. Professional certification / diploma in marketing or public relations will be an added advantage
3. Professional qualification in field of marketing
4. At least 5 years’ experience in senior role preferably within a large international or regional public or private organisation
5. Hands-on experience in managing the development or adherence to corporate communications standards
6. Experience developing / implementing knowledge sharing tools and platforms for internal communications
7. Designing, implementing, and maintaining communication guidelines
8. Corporate brand identity standards development
9. Excellent research skills and ability to conduct in-depth analysis of existing documentation for the purposes of report writing
10. Excellent oral, writing, proof reading and presentation skills
11. Excellent interpersonal skills and must possess the ability to work with a team of professional staff and capacity for creativity and initiative as well as capacity to work under pressure.
12. Implementation digital communication tools for use by employees to facilitate communication
13. Must be a fast learner and able to quickly and easily assimilate within the organisation
14. High proficiency in MS Office programmes – Word, PowerPoint and Excel
15. The ability to communicate simply, clearly and effectively
16.Good planning and organizational skills;
17. Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment professionally
18. Punctuality and working under tight time schedules;
19. Diligence when unsupervised
Consulting Services- Corporate Communication Policy Expert